Concerned But Powerless
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
  My Understanding of fellow group members course Disciplines and their understanding of my own.
In my group there are 2 actors, one designer and one Television Production student. I’m doing the Double degree in Television Production and Multimedia. My name is Joel.

The two Actors are Holly and Annemarie. I’ve always associated actors to be confident, intelligent and interesting people. Their personalities are a reflection of their acting abilities. Generally I have found them emotionally open, opinionated and almost fearless.

After approaching both Holly and Annemarie, I learnt of the intensive physical and mental education they undergo – surpassing my initial idea of their courses structure. Initially, I imagined that acting would involve a lot of group work – enhancing team skills, acting situations and ultimately confidence. My prejudice of what Acting is like is predominately based on my experiences throughout Yr11 and Yr12 drama. Besides this, my idea of Acting included little else.

Naturally and unsurprisingly I was wrong. Although my idea was in the right direction – the extent of their [acting] degree goes way behind my initial understanding. A large extent of their course focuses on the voice. I learned that the voice is one of the most pivotal parts concerning acting –an element which I previously had no thought to consider. Each student undergoes a journey sharpening it – exercising rhythm and tone, aiming at establishing a natural voice. Another area is characterisation. They learn characterisation – placing it into practice and honing their understanding of its role in productions – employing it to enhance their acting. Another discipline of acting is how to lose conditioning, built up throughout typical life – and on the other end of the spectrum, using emotional recall to help their acting.

Nicola is our only designer. It is probably this way with most groups. With Design for TV and Theatre, I’ve always felt that I’ve had a better understanding with, than acting, for example. This I owe to my interest in what takes place behind the lens – generally what’s called Pre-production. The design for film is one of the most important parts of the process (along with acting). Design supports and ultimately enhances the entire project, along with the acting. Nicola’s course is always associated with the aesthetics of any project, in almost every way.

By simply working with Nicola through our group meetings and discussions, my understanding on the disciplines of design has expanded. The disciplines for design include set design, lighting, sound, props and general design management. Nicola’s course predominately focuses on screen and stage – where they learn about colour, balance and audiences perspective. The course involves a degree of design theory concentrating on symbology and Design elements to create harmony.

Andrew, like me, is undertaking the Television Production degree. Obviously his understanding of my degree correlates with my own. There is no need to highlight his perception on the disciplines of my course for they are largely the same – however; I am doing a double degree, which includes Multimedia, where there are differences.

After asking my group members what it is they thought my Course involved, I noticed that there was some serious lack of understanding. Although able to understand the Television Production side of my degree – defining Multimedia was slightly more difficult. Generally they all touched the surface – something to do with computers. Nicola and Holly, who were both bearing the same understanding, concluded that much of the disciplines of my course involved computers. Annemarie generalised and considered Multimedia was playing round with programs while Andrew, who turned out to be closest, submitted that it was internet related, that touched along with animation.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
I've put millions of miles under my heals.

Name:
Location: Australia

Read it too much; say it too often - it tends to stop making sense.

ARCHIVES


Powered by Blogger